Wednesday, 8 June 2016

I've Got My Ticket... Let It Be - The Musical

I would like to think that almost everyone has heard of The Beatles (minus a few of the younger generation now).


They are, of course, the first ever male group that were successful literally all over the world.
Formed in Liverpool in 1960, the bands four members, John Lennon, Paul McCartney, Ringo Starr and George Harrison were applauded for their career in the music world of rock ‘n’ roll.

With today’s current musicians, both those in the charts and ones that are unsigned, continuing to cover the British foursomes iconic hits, their powerful existence still lives on. However, it is the on-stage show of ‘Let It Be’ that really does keep the presence of The Beatles alive.
 
 
Touring around various parts of the UK, this original West End production credits the individual superstars that brought us a great deal of unforgettable songs, those that include ‘She Loves You’, ‘Hey Jude’, ‘Come Together’, ‘Help’, ‘I Want To Hold Your Hand’ and so many more.

Having already been seen in France, Germany, Moscow and Japan by an audience of over one million, I had confidence in knowing I was going to enjoy being transported to any era when I wasn’t even born.

Show Name: Let It Be - The Musical
Venue: The Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury
Performance Dates: Monday 6th June – Sat 11th June 2016
Starring: Emanuele Angeletti, Michael Bramwell, John Brosnan, Neil Candelora, Paul Canning, Ian B Garcia, Reuven Gershon
Musical Director: John Maher

Brief Information:
There isn’t much to explain apart from that each performance is an ongoing party honouring the vocals and instrumentals of the Northen band. I can imagine that for quite a few of their loyal fans it will be like dancing around in their bedroom again as a teenager, but on this occasion they would be doing so to a completely live version.

My Opinion:

I was interested to actually know more about their rise to fame and how the Beatlemania hysteria came about. I am not going to fib and say that I knew all of the songs because I didn't, but the musicians held my interest by their adeptness both in vocals and on instruments. Not many songs in and the audience were up on their feet - An unlikely scene when most people opt to stand and applaud towards the end.

What did you like?
My favourite section was what I will call the 'Tropical' setting. Teamed with hippy outfits, Hawaiian-inspired props and a luminous drum kit face, it was very colourful. A couple of outdated televisions either side of the stage acted as concert screens for the night. They also played real video footage from back in the day through these too, as well as old-fashioned adverts, of which caused a few laughs. Alike most in the crowd I was keen to hear (and sing a long with) the catchy‘Let It Be’. Another number that my voice box got ready to combine with was ‘Twist and Shout’.

What would you change?

It was a shame that the band members weren't introduced separately at the beginning as it took me a while to figure out which person portrayed who.
 
My star rating out of five:

Find out more about Let It Be – The Musical, including ticket prices and performance times:
post signature
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment