Thursday, 30 June 2016

I've Got My Ticket... Guys and Dolls - The Musical

It was the vibrant colour and utter glamour of a print advertisement for Guys and Dolls – the musical that actually had me set on watching the show. That, and the mention of one individual cast member (Richard Fleeshman, in case you were wondering).

 

I wasn’t overfamiliar with the storyline, however what I did know was that the production had, and still is a triumphant hit in London’s West End. Thankfully, there is currently a nationwide tour going on at the same time, meaning that people won’t have to travel as far to see what audiences have been simply raving about.


Show Name: Guys and Dolls - The Musical
Venue: The Marlowe Theatre, Canterbury
Performance Dates: Tuesday 28th June – Sat 2nd July 2016
Starring: Richard Fleeshman, Louise Dearman, Maxwell Caulfield, Anna O'Byrne
Musical Director: Andy Massey

Brief Information:
Heard of the phrase ‘pull a fast one’? – Good, because this staging, based on the short stories by Damon Runyon, is all about just that. But, if you are new to this set of words, I can inform you that the meaning behind it is humans doing wrong and most of the time, getting away with it.

New York, famed as ‘The City That Never Sleeps’, is where Nathan Detroit is living with a bad reputation. This conman is in need of some extra cash, and he wants it quick. Combine this with a failing relationship with his fiancĂ©e of fourteen years Miss Adelaide, and it seems that he might well be about to get a taste of his own medicine.

My Opinion:

The plot really did thicken along the way. Sky Masterson, finds it incredibly difficult in saying no to a bet, which is why he is soon caught up gambling with the untrustworthy Mr Detroit. Although I don’t condone messing around with money, the drama of the whole shenanigans was outright absorbing. Each person unquestionably deserved to be on that stage and alone added his or her personal wit, which almost every scene was complete with.

What did you like?
In between the slang talk (something else that I’d count as another thought-provoking inclusion) linking the gamblers, gangsters and nightclub singers to one another was a collection of Broadway numbers. ‘Luck Be A Lady’ and ‘My Time Of Day’ all featured as these rhythmic pieces. Though it was the enlivening rendition of ‘Sit Down, You’re Rockin’ The Boat’ that had me wanting to get up on my feet and join in.

What would you change?
To me, I felt that the first section and second part of the show would have worked better if they were the same measure of time instead of it being shorter in the half that followed after the interval.
 
My star rating out of five:


Find out more about Guys and Dolls – The Musical, including ticket prices and performance times:
http://www.marlowetheatre.com/page/3040/Guys-And-Dolls/1056
post signature
Follow my blog with Bloglovin

No comments:

Post a Comment